Skip to main content

tv   CBS Overnight News  CBS  February 16, 2016 3:07am-4:01am PST

3:07 am
steve: you ready? all right, 20 seconds on the clock, please. let's go. name something you might find on a front porch. douglas: a chair. steve: name something people unroll. douglas: uh, carpet. steve: tell me how long a wedding ceremony is. douglas: uh, one hour. steve: name a color on a street sign. douglas: yellow. steve: name something clothes hangers are made of. douglas: wood. [ding ding ding] steve: ok. name something you might find on the front porch. you said... chair. survey said... there we go. name something people unroll. you said...
3:08 am
carpet. survey said... tell me how long a wedding ceremony is. you said... one hour. survey said... name a color on street signs. you said... yellow. survey said... name something clothes hangers are made of. you said... wood. survey said... miss teresa, your husband did pretty good. teresa: wonderful. steve: he got 140. teresa: whoo. whoo. steve: that's pretty good. you need 60, darlin'. you ready? teresa: yes. steve: let's remind everybody of douglas' answers.
3:09 am
25 seconds on the clock, please. here we go. name something you might find on a front porch. teresa: newspaper. steve: name something people unroll. teresa: wrapping paper. steve: tell me how long a wedding ceremony is. teresa: an hour. steve: try again. teresa: 2 hours. steve: name a color on a street sign. teresa: green. steve: name something clothes hangers are made of. teresa: wire. [ding ding ding] steve: we need 60. let's go. name something you might find on a front porch. you said... find a newspaper. survey said... chair and rocker was number one. we need 56. name something people unroll. you said... wrapping paper. survey said...
3:10 am
toilet paper and tissue was number one. we need 52. tell me how long a wedding ceremony is. you said... 2 hours. survey said... one hour was the number one answer. we still need 52. name a color on street signs. you said... green. survey said... red was the number one answer. we need 26 points. name something clothes hangers are made of. you said... made out of wire. survey said... oh, yeah. metal and wire. wire was the number one answer. wow. that's $20,000.
3:11 am
they-- that's $20,000, and they coming back on "family feud." i'm steve harvey. we'll see you next time, folks. ,
3:12 am
morning ted! scott! ready to hit some balls? ooh! hey buddy, what's up? this is what it can be like to have shingles. oh, man. a painful, blistering rash. if you had chickenpox, the shingles virus is already inside you. 1 in 3 people will get shingles in their lifetime. after almost 3 weeks, i just really wanted to give it a shot. you know, i'm not feeling it today. talk to your doctor or pharmacist today about a vaccine that can help prevent shingles. [captioning made possible by fremantle media] woman: ♪ made in georgia ,,,,,, [music]
3:13 am
3:14 am
i love my sister. my heart doesn't see race. love is love. >> it all involves the wrongful eviction that he put me through. >> your honor, he owed $6,800. >> announcer: a son and a father try and try... >> judge judy: why hadn't you been paying rent regularly? >> um... >> judge judy: not you. him. he's the tenant. >> announcer: ...but fail again and again. >> judge judy: you are now staying there and not paying rent. >> i did work for him to make up for the rent. >> judge judy: so, the answer is
3:15 am
you did not pay him any rent. >> well, that's a form of paying him. >> announcer: "judge judy." you are about to enter the courtroom of you are about to enter the courtroom of judge judith sheindlin. captions paid for by cbs television distribution byron polin and his son, 25-year-old alexander, are suing their former landlord, dennis valdez, for return of rent and property. >> byrd: order! all rise! this is case number 430 on the calendar in the matter of polin vs. valdez. parties have been sworn in. you maybe be seated. have a seat, please. >> judge judy: this is your son, mr. polin? is that right? >> yes, your honor. >> judge judy: how old is he? >> he's 25. >> judge judy: who else lives with you other than your son? >> just the two of us. >> judge judy: are you still living in a property that's owned by mr. valdez? >> yes, i am. >> judge judy: when did you move into his property? >> i believe it was about october of 2014. >> judge judy: when did you stop paying rent? >> i didn't stop paying rent.
3:16 am
i had a vehicle that was stolen in december, and it set us back, and that's when we first started getting behind. >> judge judy: i said when did you stop paying rent? i don't care whether your vehicle was stolen or anything else. when did you stop paying rent? >> um, i -- >> judge judy: did you pay rent last month? >> actually, i did work for him to make up for the rent. he owed me money. >> judge judy: so, the answer is you did not pay him any rent. >> well, that's a form of paying him. >> judge judy: did you pay him any rent the month before? >> yes. >> judge judy: how much? >> well, the last time i paid any cash was -- it looks like it was on september 9, 2015. i paid $1,250 cash. and, also, there were payments that he hadn't recorded. there were four payments there that he -- >> judge judy: so, the last time that you paid him any cash rent was september of 2015? >> that's correct. >> judge judy: mr. valdez, did mr. polin do any work for you? >> yes, he did do some work for me. >> judge judy: tell me what kind of work he did for you and when. >> well, i have a swimming pool at my house, and he was supposed to do some work at my
3:17 am
swimming-pool electrical unit. and unfortunately it was a really shabby job, and i had to get another electrical contractor to come out and do it. >> judge judy: now, what made you hire him to do electrical work in your pool? >> well, he indicated to me that he was an electrician, and he could handle the job, which of course he couldn't. but by the same token, your honor, this gentleman is not the tenant. his son is the tenant, not his father. >> judge judy: but his father lives with him? >> your honor, the contract indicates that there are to be no other individuals other than mr. polin jr. >> judge judy: well, clearly you knew that he was living there if you hired him to do electrical work on your pool, mr. valdez. >> i thought that he -- >> judge judy: clearly you knew that he was living there. >> no, i didn't. i knew that he was there from time to time, because they have a joint work business together. >> judge judy: what kind of work? >> we do property maintenance. >> judge judy: for whom? >> i work for my father. >> judge judy: you work for your father, and your father does property maintenance for whom? >> my two biggest accounts are golden state financial and royalty management. >> judge judy: did you work for them last year? >> yes, ma'am. >> judge judy: did you get a
3:18 am
form indicating how much they paid you because you have to start paying your taxes? >> yes. yes, ma'am. >> judge judy: and how much did you earn from them last year? >> it was about $45,000, the two of us combined. >> judge judy: for you and your son. >> yes. >> judge judy: and what's your rent at the valdez? >> $825 a month. >> judge judy: but the lease is in your name. >> yes. >> judge judy: now, what violation do you allege, mr. valdez, that the polins committed which caused you to evict them? >> well, there were several things. first of all, they failed to pay rent, and i have a schedule -- >> judge judy: okay, clearly they did not pay rent. you did not pay rent either after september. is that true? >> yes. >> judge judy: fine. so, on what date did you move to evict them? >> i believe it was in september or october. >> judge judy: well, you hired him to do work for you in october. >> right. >> judge judy: well, why would you have hired him to do work for you if you were gonna evict him? >> well, he guaranteed to me that he could do the work. [ raps desk ] >> judge judy: i don't care about that. why would you move to evict him the same month that you hired him is my question. >> because he promised me that he would pay me, and then he didn't. >> judge judy: pay you what? >> he would pay me rent.
3:19 am
>> judge judy: just a second. he paid you in september. >> your honor, he owed $6,800, and i have the schedule here to show the amount of money he owed. >> judge judy: just a second. so, what you're telling me is that he owed you $6,800 but he gave you $1,200. >> yes. so we're deducting the $1,250 from the $6,800, and the balance is what he owes me. >> judge judy: okay. i don't have a counterclaim for that. >> i have the information here, your honor. >> judge judy: i don't care whether you have it there or not, you didn't file a counterclaim. >> no, i didn't. >> judge judy: okay. so, what you're telling me is that the $1,200 was sort of to keep you at bay because they owed you more. why hadn't you been paying rent regularly? >> um -- >> judge judy: not you. him. >> oh. >> i hadn't paid rent after that because of the work that my father had done for him. >> judge judy: no, no, no. at that point, in october, you owed him $6,800. why had you gotten so far behind in the rent? >> your honor, his bookkeeping was off, then. >> judge judy: i'll look at your bookkeeping. show me, for all the time that you were there, show me the receipts of what you paid him.
3:20 am
>> when we went in, your honor, in september, also, he had three other payments that -- >> judge judy: how much did you owe him in september? >> actually, i owed him $1,250 in september. that was everything paid, after he gave the other credits he was missing. a payment for $740, a payment for $400, and a payment for $1,250 that he didn't record, in addition to that $1,250 i gave him that day. >> judge judy: now, you went into housing court, is that right? >> yes. >> judge judy: when did you go to housing court? >> the first time was in october. >> judge judy: when did you go the second time to housing court? >> oh, i've got it all right here. the first time -- >> judge judy: just a second. mr. polin, you're the tenant. when was the second time you went to housing court? >> is it okay if i look at these, your honor? >> judge judy: yes. >> okay. second time we went to court was on... 11/4, your honor. 11/4. >> judge judy: that was the second time. >> yes. >> judge judy: when you went to housing court -- 'cause the case is a simple case. the case says the he illegally evicted you. you're back in the house now. but during that brief period of time when you were evicted, he
3:21 am
disposed of some of your property. >> yes, your honor. >> judge judy: and so that's what you're suing for. >> yes. >> judge judy: so, when you went to housing court, you went over all the bills. and how much were you advised in housing court that you owed mr. valdez? >> nothing. >> judge judy: do you have any evidence to the contrary, mr. valdez, that would indicate that they owed you any money? >> your honor, the way it works in court in kern county is that you can't ask for money the first time around. you have to ask for it afterwards. all i wanted was possession of the property at that time, and so that's what i was asking. i was prepared to go back afterward and ask for a money claim. >> judge judy: just a second. did they pay you rent in november? >> no. >> judge judy: you have proof you paid in november? >> no, i don't, your honor. >> judge judy: did you pay in december? >> no, i didn't, your honor. >> judge judy: did you pay in january? >> no, i didn't, your honor. >> judge judy: well, is there a reason for that? >> pretty much it all involves the wrongful eviction that he put me through, and all the money it's cost me to take care of that after the process. >> judge judy: well, you tell me what money it's cost you. did you hire a lawyer?
3:22 am
>> no, i didn't, your honor. >> judge judy: so tell me what money it cost you. >> i had to rent and stay in a motel for a week after i was wrongfully evicted -- >> judge judy: i don't care. >> my dog -- >> judge judy: just a second. >> i'm sorry. >> judge judy: you're living in his property now. >> yes. >> judge judy: you asked the court to put you back in the property. is that correct? >> yes, your honor. >> judge judy: and the court said, "right now, because he didn't go through the process correctly, i'm ordering you back into your home." that's what the court said? >> no, you honor. >> judge judy: well, that's what you say here in your complaint. you say in your complaint -- >> i said he lied and tricked us. >> judge judy: you say in your complaint -- >> and that came out of the judge's mouth. >> judge judy: just a second. you state in your complaint "the judge reprimanded the defendant, and i was given back possession of the home on october 7th." that's what you say. >> yes. >> judge judy: reprimanded the defendant for not having gone through proper procedures to evict you for whatever he did. my question to you is now you're back in your home. why aren't you paying rent? >> because we're already all paid up on the rent. if you take the payments we've made that he didn't credit us,
3:23 am
and -- >> judge judy: you didn't make -- your son, who is the tenant, didn't pay rent last month, didn't pay rent this month, didn't pay rent the month before, or the month before. >> if you take all these payments that i've made and what he owes me, which the judge told him he was to pay me for the work that was done, too, or credit it toward rent. >> judge judy: just a second. i want to see that order. >> going into -- >> judge judy: i'd like to see that order. >> oh, sure. >> judge judy: like to see it. >> um... >> judge judy: don't say, "um," just show me the order. >> [ chuckles ] okay. here's where he gave -- >> judge judy: just a second. i'd like to see it. >> ordered him to give -- >> judge judy: i can read. >> okay. [ laughter ] >> judge judy: this doesn't say that he's supposed to give you anything. it says you were supposed to meet on november 16, 2015, at 1:30 p.m. in department 12. that's what it says. and it says you were supposed to have an accounting with all rent due, all rent paid, and credits
3:24 am
owed to the defendant, and you're ordered to appear on november 16th. what happened on november 16th? >> we had a different judge. >> judge judy: no! >> we appeared in court, your honor. >> judge judy: and? >> and we had a different judge this time that was a sit-in judge. >> judge judy: what happened on november 16th? >> she granted possession of the property back to mr. valdez. >> judge judy: granted it back to mr. valdez. >> because they said we were moving anyway. >> judge judy: hey! [ raps desk ] so, the judge granted the property back to mr. valdez. you are now staying there and not paying rent. i'm just getting the story straight. is that -- i'm not talking to you. >> uh-huh. [ chuckles ] okay. >> judge judy: see that? you're not the tenant. >> announcer: "judge judy" continues in a moment. >> judge judy: we are now three months past. >> no. >> judge judy: well, my calendar says we're three months past november 16th. if you're living on pluto, maybe it's not the same calendar. >> announcer: and later today... >> i just wanted to see the tickets, and they wouldn't let me see them. i wanted proof.
3:25 am
>> judge judy: i believe her when she says your father said, "just give them back the car." >> because they were being aggressive. what was i supposed to do? i was scared. ,,,,,,,,
3:26 am
>> announcer: closed captioning is provided by... it's not an anti aging face cream it's realizing beauty, doesn't stop at my chin. roc's formula adapts to delicate skin areas. my fine lines here, visibly reduced in 4 weeks. chest, neck and face cream from roc. methods, not miracles. >> announcer: real cases. real people. "judge judy." byron polin and his son alexander claim former landlord dennis valdez owes for the return of rent and property. dennis says the plaintiffs had been evicted, so his workers
3:27 am
disposed of their belongings. >> judge judy: now, when you went the first time and the judge ordered you back to the property, did mr. valdez allow you back into the property? the answer is yes, 'cause you lived there. and you're still living there, right? >> yes. >> judge judy: so, he followed the judge's order. >> not -- not to the -- >> judge judy: now, just a second. he followed the judge's order. now, the judge, on november 16th, ordered you -- you're the tenant -- out of the house. so you decided not to abide by the judge's order because -- >> no, we abided by the judge's order. >> judge judy: hey, i'm not talking to you. >> okay, well -- >> judge judy: i'm not talking to you. >> okay. >> judge judy: he's the tenant. >> okay. you tell her, then. >> judge judy: am i correct that you and your father told me that you're still living in mr. valdez's home... >> yes, your honor. >> judge judy: ...when we started? and we are now three months past november 16th. >> no. >> judge judy: well, my calendar says we're three months past november 16th. if you're living on pluto, maybe it's not the same calendar. >> she didn't make that ruling on november 16th. >> judge judy: listen to me. that's what the tenant told me.
3:28 am
>> that's not true. >> judge judy: you're not the tenant. show me something else. >> i'll show you another piece of paper. >> judge judy: no, no. show me the order on november 16th. >> there was no order on november 16th. >> judge judy: according to the tenant, there was an order, and you haven't paid rent, and your case is dismissed. you're a squatter living in his house. goodbye. >> byrd: parties are excused. you may step out. >> the reason that we're here is because the... >> yes, some property was stolen from me. >> ...tenant sued me for $10,000 for a marijuana plant. >> i had a couple marijuana plants that were stolen, and some tools. >> and they should have been arrested for having that kind of a marijuana plant at their location. >> i just won't trust anybody from now on. >> it's all about money, you know? and they want to stay there without paying. >> announcer: and now the next case. >> byrd: all parties in the matter of barragan vs. corbray/armstrong, step forward. >> announcer: 20-year-old sandy barragan is suing tyrone corbray and his girlfriend, theresa armstrong, for the purchase price and repair costs for a car they repossessed from her.
3:29 am
>> judge judy: miss barragan, how did you find the car that you purchased from the defendants? >> from an ad on craigslist. >> judge judy: so, you didn't know them before. >> no. >> judge judy: okay. so, this is what happened. you purchased a car from them, they signed the title over to you. >> well, they didn't give me the title. they just gave me two registration forms. but it was my first time buying a car, so i wasn't sure -- >> judge judy: where's the title? >> i have it. >> judge judy: great. i'd like it. why didn't you give her the title? >> we didn't have it at the time. >> judge judy: but you have it now. >> yeah. >> judge judy: great. and you paid them for the car? >> yes, i did. >> judge judy: how much did you pay them? >> i paid them $2,300. >> judge judy: and then you waited for 10 months and didn't register the car. >> yes. >> judge judy: but you didn't have the title. >> right. >> judge judy: problem was, since you didn't get the car titled in your name, and you drove it for about 10 months and you got some tickets, and they're notified that you got tickets in a car that you hadn't transferred to your name.
3:30 am
so you took the car back. >> she willingly gave it to us, that's why. >> judge judy: when did she give it to her? >> when we went to ask for the tickets. her dad told her to give it to us. >> judge judy: when was that? >> i don't know the exact date. >> it was probably around -- i would say around late october, early november. >> judge judy: when? >> that's false. it was in july. >> judge judy: it was in july? >> yes. >> judge judy: that you gave them back the car? >> yeah. >> judge judy: how many tickets did you have? >> well, the thing was, they said i had tickets the day they came to my house, but they didn't show them to me. they were just waving them around in my face. >> we gave it to her and let her read it. >> we showed her. >> judge judy: i'm not believing you, young lady. i'm believing them, and i'm not believing you. >> they didn't want to show me the tickets. like, i literally asked them to show me the tickets and i would give them the cash. >> judge judy: then why would you give them the car? >> because they were coming at me aggressive. they walked up to my apartment -- >> judge judy: i don't believe it. don't believe it. >> announcer: "judge judy" continues in a moment. >> her boyfriend attacked us and her sister.
3:31 am
>> they fought. >> and, like she said, her dad told her to give the car back because she didn't have the money for the tickets.
3:32 am
3:33 am
3:34 am
>> announcer: real cases. real people. "judge judy." sandy barragan says tyrone corbray and his girlfriend theresa armstrong illegally repossessed a car from her. >> judge judy: madam, i don't know why you didn't register the car.
3:35 am
>> because i didn't have the title. they made me go through a long process. >> judge judy: just a second. if you didn't have the title, you had to go through a long process. >> correct. >> judge judy: is that right? so why didn't you go through the long process? >> i was working, and i didn't have time. >> judge judy: you drove the car for a year? think of it as a rental. >> right. >> judge judy: what do you expect them to do? you're driving around a car 'cause you don't have time to have it registered. you keep getting tickets on the car -- parking tickets? what kind of tickets were they? >> like a picture ticket. like, you know, when you go through a light or something. >> judge judy: you go through a red light? go through a red light, it came to your house. >> yes. >> judge judy: because of the license plate. shouldn't sell a car with license plates on it. what? >> i wanted to pay for the tickets, but they didn't want to work with me. and they had agreed -- >> judge judy: what kind of work with you? just a second. what kind of work with you? how old are you? >> i had tried to send them -- i'm 20. >> judge judy: [ scoffs ] nobody has to work with you to pay your tickets and your fines. >> well, i just wanted to see the tickets, and they wouldn't let me see them. i wanted proof. >> judge judy: i don't believe that. and i believe her when she says your father said, "just give them back the car." >> because they were being
3:36 am
aggressive. what was i supposed to do? i was scared. >> [ chuckles ] no. >> judge judy: miss barragan, you're supposed to be a responsible lady, and you weren't a responsible lady. who are you? >> her sister. >> judge judy: and? >> and i just wanted to say that they agreed to -- they agreed to meet up at the dmv in tacoma. we went there because we were gonna give the money for the ticket, and they were gonna give us the title, that way we can put the car under her name. they never showed. we waited there two hours. they never showed. >> judge judy: she had the ability to register the car. she just said she was working and didn't have time. >> no, i couldn't register the car because i didn't have the title. >> judge judy: did you have a bill of sale from them? >> yes, i do. >> judge judy: you had a bill of sale and they gave you the registration. >> yes. i still couldn't do it. i don't know why. they just didn't -- >> she never tried. >> i did try. i have proof. >> we asked her. she was just staring at us when we asked her the question. >> no, i sent you guys -- >> judge judy: let me ask you this question. how many tickets did she get? >> two. >> judge judy: well, that's not a lot. >> yeah.
3:37 am
>> judge judy: one going through a red light. >> but we didn't know about that she even had the car still in his name. that's how we found out. >> it was us seeing the tickets that made us know it was still in my name. >> judge judy: who are you? >> michaella jahmorris. i'm theresa's friend. >> she was there the whole time. >> i was there the whole time. >> judge judy: there when? >> when they went to retrieve the ticket money. and when we went there, we showed her the tickets. and she said we were aggressive? her boyfriend attacked us and her sister. >> they fought my sister. >> and we gave her the tickets. and, like she said, her dad told her to give the car back because she didn't have the money for the tickets. >> judge judy: okay. great. sit down. >> announcer: "judge judy" continues in a moment. closed captioning sponsored by... abdominal pain? bloating? you may have ibs. ask your doctor if non-prescription ibgard is right for you. ibgard calms the angry gut. available at cvs and walgreens. it appears. is that a dark spot? new gold bond dark spot minimizing cream for body. targeted treatment: results begin in 4 weeks.
3:38 am
gold bond. >> announcer: real cases. real people. "judge judy.",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
3:39 am
3:40 am
>> judge judy: now, you tell me how much the tickets were that you had to pay. how much were they? >> $241. >> judge judy: so, if she gives you $241, which was for the tickets, then you're whole and she gets the car back. correct? >> it was $241 each for both
3:41 am
tickets. so, if you want to say -- >> judge judy: just a second. it was $241 -- >> because i guess the tickets being en route so long -- >> judge judy: did you pay them? >> no, i didn't. they went to collection. i didn't have the money to pay them. i didn't know she even had the car until we got the tickets. >> judge judy: well, then, you should have gotten copies of the tickets. >> you're right. >> he gave them to her. >> no, he didn't give me nothing. >> judge judy: byrd. >> oh, wow. >> you wasn't even there. >> judge judy: he's gonna sign the title over to her right now. she paid you for the car. that was the deal. she's gonna register the car. as soon as she brings you proof that she has registered the car in her name, and pays you $241, the marshal's gonna come and get the car from you because it belongs to her. is that car in both your names or just your name? >> just my name. >> judge judy: now you have the title. you give him $241, show them proof that the car is registered, and they should give you the car. if they don't, you have a marshal go and get it, or repossess it 'cause it's your car, or call the police and report it stolen. do you understand?
3:42 am
>> yes. >> judge judy: because once you register it, you've paid for it, they have your money, but they're not gonna pay your tickets, got it? >> yes. >> judge judy: perfect. we're done. >> byrd: parties are excused. you may step out. >> announcer: "judge judy" continues in a moment. and on the next "judge judy"... >> nobody was trying to be aggressive. we just wanted the ticket money. >> they were being aggressive, and they were being, like, basically bullies. >> and her boyfriend got his butt whupped by my sister. >> so, he was just trying to protect me, because they had a whole bunch of people surrounding me. >> it was real frustrating. i didn't even know she still had the car in my name. so it was just frustrating. >> i'm finally -- i don't know. >> i'm finally -- i don't know. stress-free about this. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com
3:43 am
i love my sister. my heart doesn't see race. love is love.
3:44 am
3:45 am
said, "don't do that. we have time. >> well, there are a lot of options presented to this administration, as well as to a nowlingithleds is ted.g, the o
3:46 am
bya, lia, men, how doevelopnce up cia ses,ertases i tries. i s
3:47 am
own ourre. want toateavoc in sa.
3:48 am
ifheyant to do --reat o ourcial
3:49 am
pelley's report on our degree motionsense is the world's first deodorant activated by movement. as you move, fragrance capsules burstl day.ving. d. movingltra.upportoints,bones.he.
3:50 am
im?re.nce?ore.ce.ave.hip.hake.,. re.
3:51 am
ime?tersvor.ouseekser.ling) ème. macy.ified.akes.touch.
3:52 am
3:53 am
3:54 am
3:55 am
3:56 am
3:57 am
>> in most parts of the country it is the dead of the winter. that means cold season. most adults come down with two or three colds a year. they can last more than a week. it has the a lot of people asking, why science can't find a cure. our report. >> reporter: running nose, coughing, sneezing, headache, sore throat lead to self diagnosis of the common cold. while the symptoms are annoyingly clear, prevention and cures are not so obvious. about 200 different viruses cause the common cold. the viruses latch on to cells on the back of your throat and multiply attacking your nose, throat and airways. >> the common cold doesn't kill anybody. >> dr. jeffrey linder says for now, treating your bed's ody's
3:58 am
reaction the only defense. >> three go to things for the cold, are rest, fluids, and fever reducing medicine, tends to help the most. >> drug stores offer hundreds of over-the-counter medicines and remedies for the common cold. they come in the form of tablets, liquids or syrups. last year consumers spent over $7 billion on the products. while they may offer some relief, there still is no cure for the common cold in sight. pharmaceutical come papanies wo have to invest a lot of time of and money because there are so many different viruses and the potential drug would have to have a near perfect safety profile. >> people don't die from it. you have to inexpensive. effective. doesn't cause harm on its own. drug come pans tripanies tried a cure. the director of the national institute of allergy and infectious diseases he said it would be nearly impossible to
3:59 am
prevent the hundreds of viruss. >> developing one vaccine against one or two or three of them is almost follied, the odds are your vaccine is not going to be doing a pretty good job of protecting you. >> for most of us, a cold is often more annoying than dangerous. but the elderly, children and those with weak immune systems or chronic lung disease can suffer serious consequences even death from the cold. dr. fauci and team of researchers are focusing on potential treatments and vaccines for specific viruss that are more dangerous. >> we tend not to think about the cure of the cold. we think about taking individual viruses and determining whether it is feasible or possible to be able to develop a cure. >> that's the "overnight news" for tuesday. for some of you the news continues. for others check back with us later for the morning news and "cbs this morning." from the broadcast center here in new york city, i'm demarco
4:00 am
moore. ,, it's tuesday, february 16th, 2016. this is the "cbs morning news." the race for south carolina simmers. donald trump steps up his attacks on ted cruz while a former president tries to pave a path to the white house for his brother. wild weather sweeps through the southeast, damaging twisters touch down in two states, while the same system delivers another dose of snow to the northeast. and taylor swift leads an all-star cast who strike gold at the

818 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on